Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Tuesday in Haiti

Breakfast today was sooo yummy! Pancakes, pineapple and oatmeal.

Today we hosted 100 kiddos at VBS. We were supposed to do it inside the church at the Baptist Mission. But when we arrived, we were notified that someone had died and the funeral was today at the church. So we regrouped and set everything up behind the church at this park. We split the kids into groups and they rotated from group to group. I was in charge of my 10 kid group and led them around.













When we got back, we headed to the creche to see our kiddos. As I walked down the stairs leading to the creche, I noticed Jovanika sitting in the lap of a lady. I didn't want to "steal" her away from the lady, so I just walked by. Well, she saw me and hollered out "Mama Blanc" (white mama lol) and got up to come over to me. AWWWW! We played for a bit and then I went with some other other people to go in and clean the kids classroom. I took her in there with me, but you know how it is when you have someone following your every move undoing everything you do! So one of the workers took her out and shut the door. That poor baby sat outside the door and cried for 30 minutes until we came back out and I got her again.






For dinner we had mystery meat (goat, maybe?), green beans, potatoes, brown rice & beans.

Tonight, I talked with Dr. Bernard. He used to live in Fort Worth, so we chatted about the area. Eventually we started talking about adoption and all the kids there. He said that the number of kids he has had doubled since last year. Fortunately though, most of them are being adopted. I was kind of (ok, not kind of) curious if, in fact, Jovanika was one of the available kiddos. Her and I have this crazy connection and I just felt the need to know what her story is. He didn't have any of his files there, so he didn't know any information about specific kids, but he did have a spreadsheet with the kids names and birthdays. Turns out, she IS available and has not been there very long. He couldn't remember her story but I know her name and that she will be 3 on November 18.

No comments:

Post a Comment