Saturday, June 18, 2011

Back to Haiti- Saturday

After arriving in Miami around midnight on Friday, it was close to 2am before we got in our hotel room and got to bed. We had to meet downstairs at 8am to head to our flight to Port Au Prince.

Once we landed in PAP, we got off the plane, got on a bus and headed to another building to get our luggage. It didn't seem as chaotic as the last time we did this. Once we got our bags, we headed outside to find our bus. Along the way, we were hounded by porters wanting to carry our bags for us, trying to make a buck. Since last year, there is now a paved walkway and a covered sidewalk leading to the parking lot. Once we found our bus, we were told that we were going to have to wait for another group coming in on another flight in about 45 minutes. So we waited. And waited. For about 2 hours. Finally, someone found out the flight we were waiting on had been delayed, so we got to leave.

On the bus ride up, it looked like there has been lots of clean up since last year.

But there was still lots of destruction from the earthquake.



We passed many tent cities still filled with people.







Once we got to the Guest House, we got settled in and headed straight to the creche to see the kiddos. I was thrilled to see that the trees had been replaced with a playground for the kids to play on!



Immediately a little girl came running up to me with her arms held open for me to pick her up. I held and played with her. Then we sat down to swing and she fell asleep.



I thought about going and putting her down in her bed. But it never fails, whenever I put the sleeping babies down, they ALWAYS wake up and start bawling. Then I feel horrible. So, I held her and let her nap until it was time to go.

We ate dinner.... mystery meat, brown rice & beans, french green beans and bread. Topped it off with a huge bottle of $2 Haitian Coke. Then we had a devotional and went to bed early, since we were all exhausted from the lack of sleep the night before. The rooster that I grew to despise the last trip started cock-a-doodle-doing about 2:30am. Then I woke up to light outside. Looked at my watch and oh my goodness, it was only 4:30!! Finally got up about 5:30 and got ready for our day.

No comments:

Post a Comment