Friday, January 6, 2012

Bracelets & Baby Clothes

Thursday can't get here soon enough! I am determined to get things ready to go this weekend. Not sure why I find getting packed to go out of town so stressful. This time particularly because I am not sure what all to expect. And I know that if I forget something, I can't just run down to WalMart to pick it up. That's not happening in Haiti!! I don't want to have to worry about packing during the week. It will be hard enough having to get sub plans ready for my class and getting Avery ready to stay with friends to have to mess with all of my "stuff" too. Although I figure no matter how much I plan ahead, there will be lots of last minute things I haven't thought of. That is usually how it works with me. Any of you other mamas have any tips for thing I should take with me??

I was talking to a friend who suggested I take clothes for the kids to wear while we are there. Of course they have clothes, but they may not be very clean or smell the best since they are often shared day after day. So when I got home from school, we got up in the attic and dug through tubs of Avery's old clothes that I saved. I picked out several adorable little 3T girly outfits to take. A friend of mine was nice enough to give me tons of her boys clothes for James. I went through those and picked out some tiny 2T outfits for him. Looking through all of Avery's old clothes brought back so many fun memories of when she was a little toddler. I can still remember things we did when she was wearing certain outfits. Those were such fun times. Can't wait to have 2 more around to make many more memories!!

I spent tonight packaging up Apparent Project bracelets to ship out tomorrow. Our friends & family have been so supportive! We still have quite a few left. If you are interested, they are $8. You can email me at whitaker_lori@yahoo.com

5 comments:

  1. I totally agree to take clothes, diapers, wipes,snacks,cups,a bottle for James(and a can of formula), toys/books/coloring books all things you would take for your child if you were going on a trip. There was a large bag of crayons there in the big room above the dining area so we just took coloring books. Bubbles,small cars to play with on the deck,hmmm think that is about what we took las time for Lovely :-)
    So, so happy you get to see your babies!!!
    Shelly~Lovely's Mama

    ReplyDelete
  2. Since colored towels are something on the NLL needs list, I always buy and bring new colored towels to use while there and then leave. M was three when we first spent time with him and potty trained except he couldn't make it through the night. I brought pull-ups for him this last time for bedtime that he liked better than "di-pares", which he thought were for babies. =) Toothbrushes, kids' toothpaste, shower soap, lotions, undies, socks-- all ther personal care stuff. Bubbles have always been a big hit-- we have usually taken packs of paper and stickers to use with all the bigger kids when we visit the creche. I bought shoes at second hand stores for the boys, as well as little toys. We brought gummy vitamins, tons of snacks, Emergen-C, and basic meds: painkillers, Immodium, etc. I pretty much just leave everything that I bring for the creche.
    I have also brought small gifts for the Bernards and my boys' nannies (including photos of the boys) both times we've visited.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, and hand sanitizer, and I brought some single packet Lysol wipes. Next time, I will bring a changing pad and a baby bjorn as well!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I third the bubbles! They are always a big hit. Also, some beach balls would be great. They pack flat but can blow up and are great for the kids to play with, although they may be hard to find this time of year :-(
    Wipes will be great for the kids and for you, you will probably get very sweaty while there. I know I did! Bring some books with bright pictures so you can have the kids sit on your laps and read them a story. They won't understand your words, but they will understand your tone and will enjoy the pictures and the cuddle time! Defintely clothes and shoes. Hmm, Walmart has little dolls that are really cheap. Some of those would be good. That is about all I can think of that hasn't already been recommended. Take LOTS of pictures!!!!

    ReplyDelete